Friday, August 13, 2010

Big Kids Read


I woke up this morning and had a flash back to fourth grade. Mrs. Ryan was my fourth grade teacher and she changed my life.

When I was little I had a hearing problem. I honestly don't remember much about it other than I had to have surgery and wear ear plugs whenever I was in water. No one even noticed it until I was far behind in reading. I was REALLY good at reading lips, but that didn't help me when it came time for reading the printed word.
I had a wonderful tutor named Miss Helen but I HATED reading. My parents tried everything under the sun. They bribed me, threatened and begged but no matter what they did nothing worked. My future looked bleak as I started fourth grade and was still reading books that read "Watch Sam chase his ball. He loves chasing his ball."

Mrs. Ryan changed my life on the first day of class. She sat us down and told us all that "Big kids read. Big kids always have a book with them and they read everywhere. They read in the car, in the bath, at school and wherever they can. You are in fourth grade now, you are big kids and you will read all the time in my class and out of it." That simple little speech altered my life.

 When I got home from school that day I dove into the bookshelves in my parents office and dug out The Little House on The Prairie series that some loving family member had given me a few years before. That same night I started reading and never stopped.

Thanks to Mrs. Ryan I always have a least one book in my car, another in my bag and there is usually one hidden under my pillows. I read in the bath, on breaks at work, and whenever I can snag a minute for it. Saying that I love to read is a massive understatement. Reading has enriched my life in such a beautiful way, I am so grateful to all of the people who helped push my stubborn butt to read. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment